Some people believe that Santa employs six elves, while others think that he has nine elf assistants. Others think that there are as many as 13 elves living with Santa to help him. Elves are the children of the Trolls, Gryla and Leppaludi, and are very clever. They help Santa to design toys and process requests of children that are sent to them through snail mail or emails. The popular Western names of the Christmas elves helping Santa Claus are:
- Alabaster Snowball (Administrator of the Naughty & Nice list)
- Bushy Evergreen (Inventor of the magic toy-making machine)
- Pepper Minstix (Guardian of the secret of where Father Christmas's village is located)
- Shinny Upatree (The oldest friend of Santa)
- Sugarplum Mary (Head of the Sweat Treats, she is also known as Mary Christmas. She is an assistant to Mrs Claus)
- Wunorse Openslae (Designer of Father Christmas's sleigh and responsible for its maintenance. He also looks after the reindeer)
It is almost certain that we will never know for sure how many elves assist Santa as we will never know for sure their names. If you truly do "Believe," the magic of Christmas will stay in your heart forever and it will matter not that you don't know how many Elves there are or their names, but you will know they are there because you do Believe!