National Kazoo Day occurs annually on January 28.
Here are a few facts:
- The kazoo was first produced in the USA around 1852.
- The kazoo was co-invented by a black man, Alabama Vest, and a German clockmaker, Thaddeus Von Klegg.
- The kazoo was played often in popular music in the late 1800's through the early 1900's.
- Kazoos can be made of plastic, metal, wood or other materials. Each has unique sound qualities.
- The tone quality of a kazoo is determined by the quality of the membrane or resonator.
- You don't blow into a kazoo, you hum into the big end of the kazoo.
- Kazoos are not toys - they are musical instruments in the mirliton or membranophone family.
- Kazoo are not related to vuvuzelas.